Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 3- Hezekiah's Tunnel


Wow, I am so sore. My calves are seriously really really tight, it hurts...good thing I brought Icy-Hot. The reason I am sore is because we are walking about 4-5 miles a day so far, and the streets are steep and stone so it definitely takes a toll on my legs. One of the cooks here heard me say, "I'm tired" and he was so shocked when I told him it was from walking. He said, "But you are so young! Everyday I go to lift weights, and I go on a run, and I go swimming, plus all of the walking in the city." I just thought to myself, "Wow, I am a lazy American... :("
So today we went to Hezekiah's tunnel in the City of David! It was sooo cool. The tunnel was built underneath Jerusalem by King Hezekiah around 700 B.C. to protect the main water source, the Gihon Spring, from the invading Assyrians. The tunnel starts at the Gihon Spring and ends at the Pool of Siloam. I'm really glad that I am not claustrophobic because the tunnel was so dark, narrow, and the ceiling got so low sometimes that even I had to duck. There was water in tunnel and it started out at almost my waist but then dropped to my knees. We walked in it for about 30 minutes, and if you didn't have a flashlight it was pitch black. When we got out we ended at the pool of Siloah. We also got to go to the North and South end of the temple mount and see a street that remains since the second temple period (Jesus' time). The temple walls are so high! It is an amazing structure. We saw some remaining ritual bath structures where people had to immerse themself in water to purify themself before they could go into the temple. We talked about Acts 2:38-39, and this verse: "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to Himself." Thank you Father for drawing me to Yourself, because if You had not loved me first in my depravity, I would refuse you still. This verse is SO important...repent and turn away from your sin and trust in Christ, because He is the way, the truth, and the life. Repentance is necessary! Because your sin is against a Holy God. "He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of His nature, and He upholds the universe by the word of His power" Hebrews 1:3. He took on the wrath of God for His glory and our sin. Wow, what grace. We didn't go that deep into the verse but it got me thinking.
When we were leaving the city of David a whole group of about 40 or 50 young people my age were walking towards us in military uniforms with guns. I was surprised because they were all my age! Brian told us that girls are required to join the military right after high school for a year and a half, and that boys are also required but they can go to school after highschool and then join. Wow! After that we came back to the school and had class from 1:30 to 5:00. I dont' know why they have class after we get all tired from walking and then right after lunch which makes it worse...we all try our hardest to stay awake and pay attention. :) It's all very interesting, we learn about the geography of the land and also what the Bible says about it.
Overall, another great day. I kind of missed home today...tomorrow we are going to explore Benjamin, and Bethlehem, and a couple of other places... yay!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing. The water only went half way up my shins.. I forgot what the tunnel was used for and you didn't explain that.

    We barely won our indoor game today. 8-7... definitely needed you. the girls had no one to sub in for them so they had to play the entire game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh oopsie! I'll add that in. :)

    Whhaaa? That is so close! Aren't I going to miss like half the games? triste... but hey all of this walking will get me in shape, haha. Did you score any goals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I scored a few. you'll just miss two more games. Idk if we need the help of a lazy american tho....jk.

    I thought the pool was called the "pool of siloam"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, you did write siloam. hope you're enjoying the trip Grecia.

    idk if you should buy one of those rings. they break, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whaaa? I won't be lazy anymore with all the walking here I'm serious lol, and these steep streets are killer. :) I think the rings only break if the owner constantly mess with it on purpose...don't you think? lol. I am enjoying the trip...but it seems like we are seeing the same thing over and over now. I kinda miss home too. But its still great. :) And now I'm behind on my blogging..great.

    ReplyDelete