Friday, April 6, 2012

Family Matters


Rosita (Left) Me (Center) Gemenis (Right)
Rosita's contribution to this post: 


"You need a dog."
"A girl can't sleep without her teddy."
"Church was great."                  
"My eyebrows still hurt."
"I loved your husband's enchiladas." 

Gemenis's contribution: 

"You need to get a bear." 
"I had fun watching movies." 
"I love your husband's enchiladas."
"Grecia, you are not boring." 

We laughed. A lot. We baked. I got told to act my age. That could only mean one thing: my sisters were around. I love my sisters! I get so much energy when they are around. 

Tyler and I brought my two youngest sisters home with us this past weekend and what a joy it was! On the way to Fresno with these two cuties we all played the letter game. It was so. much. fun! The two words that come to mind when I try to describe our sense of humor are awkward and random. I don't think a minute passed without laughter. Not ten minutes upon arriving at my house, the 14 year old asked if we could play Hide-And-Seek. After refusing her request thirty times I finally agreed to and I am SO GLAD we played! It was, again, so much fun! Even Tyler was enjoying himself! Why did I ever stop playing that game?  You should play it today. Better yet, right now. Seriously, gather your family, your roommates, your friends and play!

The 17 year old's request was to bake so I pulled out some cake mix, frosting, and a cupcake pan. After a mishap with the eggs, everything was flowing smoothly--too smoothly for their taste. They decided to spice up the mix with some peanut butter. That sounded gross to me as I am not a peanut butter fan, but I decided to risk ruining perfectly good batter. Finally we were ready to pour the batter into the cups so they grabbed spoons. While pouring the batter it was really fun to hear the course of their dialogue: arguing (move your arm!), a joke, sweet laughter, more arguing, and more jokes all followed by peanut butter-chocolate batter EVERYWHERE. We needed something to do while that baked so they stepped into my beauty shop (aka my living room) where I pretended to know lots about hair, makeup, and eyebrows. The cupcakes turned out pretty yummy by the way.

In addition to their fun personalities they are helpful, kind, and have beautiful servant hearts. They cleaned my whole house while I was at work and I didn't even ask them to! I love it when they enjoy themselves and I love seeing them happy. I felt like a mom as I planned meals and called them to the table, and made sure they were fed and comfy. I love them so much and wish nothing but the best for them. My heart aches in thinking of all the pain and heartache they have had (and will have) in this fallen world. I wish I could protect them from harm and boys (hehe). I got a glimpse of the impact I have on their young lives this past weekend, and I hope that my example and legacy will be a godly one. I am totally looking forward to the next time I see them. I myself was reminded something by their being here: to have fun in whatever the day brings and best of all, to laugh.

What are some of your fondest memories with your siblings or family in general? 



1 comment: